Sunday, June 2, 2013

Memorial Day in Seattle

We've had crazy weather this May. I'm talking 95 degrees the first week, then two weeks of rain and 60s. So it makes sense that we would spend Memorial Day in rainy Seattle visiting with our brother-in-law Taylor (who's up here for his cousin's wedding. Thanks cousin!). In one word, the weekend was: awesome!

We left Friday after work and stopped in Cle Elum for dinner at this mom and pop diner. The food was pretty good but we really stopped for the pie. Dana LOVES pie. And we couldn't find it on our last trip over the mountains so this time we found it first.

We met Taylor at the hotel and enjoyed the sweet sound of trains as we drifted off to sleep. Have I mentioned I hate trains? I do. Really, really do. No, it wasn't that bad. We got an early morning to grab breakfast before the boys took off for a day of golfing and I headed back for a quick workout before walking all over the city shopping. IKEA gave me too many ideas for the house. Why don't we have an IKEA in Yakima?!!! Dana and Taylor returned from a great day and Taylor took off for the reception while we back to IKEA (can't have too much shopping) and then Taylor met us for a late showing of Iron Man 3.

Sunday was breakfast at the Wagon Wheel Diner and then while Taylor was at the wedding we went to church in this really cool old building in the UW district (it looked like the white house) and then strolled around Volunteer park. Since I was freezing, we stopped in at the Conservatory to warm up in their five biosphere zones. My favorite was the 82 degree desert climate, naturally.

To warm me up, we then hiked up a giant tower at the top of the hill for the best views in the city. 
It was a loooooooooong walk up and Dana's like some freak of nature mountain goat so he had no problem. I was wheezing at the top but it was worth it. 
The sun finally made an appearance and we enjoyed a great walk around the rest of the park. Dinner was Rainforest Cafe. I'm never really enthused with their food but the ambiance almost makes up for it. Our last stop of the night was the hotel hot tub to try out my new bathing suit and make friends with a very enthusiastic four year old. She had a serious crush on Dana:)

Monday I slept in while Dana went golfing (again? Yes of course again. It's not vacation if you don't golf twice) with Taylor and his Dad, Jeff. It was a seriously rainy Memorial Day so I stuck to shopping in the mall. Dana met up with me in the afternoon for a Unicone. Basically, a giant crepe wrapped up for on the go feasting. Seattle, I love you.
 Sadly, no picture of our crepes. We were hungry. We said goodbye to Taylor until July and took off across the mountains for sunny Yakima. Great Memorial Day!

No comments: