For those of you who don't know, Dana is 1/4 Filipinio on his Dad's side and his grandparents were founding members of the Filipino community in Wapato (a small town just outside of Yakima). The evening was such fun with great food, a guest speaker from Seattle, and ethnic dances from Filipino dance troops from Seattle, Tri-Cities, and Wapato.
Of course, I totally forgot my camera, which stinks because they did amazing dancing called "Tinikling"; it comes from the long legged birds that walk through rice fields (I picture them like flamingos). The dancing was amazing and it was such a blast to hang out with Matt, his new girlfriend, Kristen, Dana's boss and his wife, and of course, Dana's parents. Mabuhay!
P.S. Maybe the funniest part was me asking "what does Mabuhay mean?" and Dana going "no idea, ask Dad." So I asked Sonny...who had no idea. Then Matt leans across the table and goes into a lengthy history lesson about the meaning of the word. I had to smile. Matt's not biologically Filipino but he might be the most Filipino-minded of all the Gailan men:)
1 comment:
That was seriously so cool. How fun!!
Post a Comment