We worked our butts off for a whole back breaking week and turned our green weed field into this barren wasteland before our friend/contractor/handyman extraordinaire Mike came to lay the pipe. Look at all that glorious dirt people. Makes you wanna smile.
Here's where it gets good. So, two Saturdays ago, we woke up to the sweet sound of Mike's trencher going in the backyard. Yippie. Time to lay the pipe! An hour later we got a knock on the door and Mike asked if Dana wanted to come see how he was laying the pipe and maybe help dig a little. I kid you not, Dana did a little dance in the closet while he changed into his 'workin' clothes. Secretly, digging trenches is what Dana fantasizes about on Wednesday afternoons at his office in his stuffy suit and bowtie:) That fantasy helped him through the first three hours of 'helping'. Poor Dana. Mike doesn't take breaks for water, food, or sweating. The guy was an amazing pipe laying robot and Dana was a very manly lawyer slowly developing a blister the size of Texas. Did I also mention we were having 30-40 mph wind gusts that day? I swear half our lawn blew away.
Mike let him do all the heavy lifting. Here he is putting the spigot heads together
I don't know why but I had a strange idea that the sprinkler pipes would be these long, silver industrial strength pipes and Mike would need a saw to cut them up or something. Actually, they are quite bendy and pretty thin. Dana learned so much from Mike but I'm not sure he realized it would turn into a 6 hour project:) I watched for a while and then went shopping. Separate but equal day, right? When I came back, they were mostly done. They filled all the dirt in, stomped it back down and voila, our lawn looked pretty much exactly the same as when they started. Except for the cute little red flags. Those are my favorite part! Mike kicked the sprinklers on at the very end and all I can compare it to is the dancing fountains at the Bellagio in Vegas. No joke, it's gorgeous.
A few hang ups with the Aho pipe line and the line Mike laid down waylaid our original sod delivery (which was probably a small blessing because Dana was dog tired:)) So it finally came this last Monday and Mike hired one of the new graduates in our ward to help put it down. By the time we got home, this was what was left.
Dana still posed for a blog photo so he could pretend he helped:) The sod is awesome! It's like a lush green carpet you would roll out for royalty or the pope or something.
And that's all the photos. Where are the ones of the our lush green lawn now? I haven't taken them yet. There's a story in there too and it involves a lot of wind and some more dirt being dumped on my driveway but that, my friends, is for another day.
No comments:
Post a Comment