What better place to have deja vu than in sunny Cancun? February started out great with a trip to paradise (special shout out to Grandma Tina for braving our kiddos...and an eye emergency so we could spend some time alone)
Friday:
Dinner on the beach and a special Anniversary surprise in our suite.
Saturday:
Beach day!! No pictures because we just sat around and drank fruity drinks and then got impromptu massages at Bamboo Spa and it was seriously heaven!
Sunday:
Tulum/Coba
Okay, so I have mixed feelings about this day. The weather was perfection. The locations were AWESOME. The tour guide was really funny but it was a looooooong 7AM to 7PM day. The food was meh and there was just too much talking and not enough exploring. Oh, and the bus was barf worthy, especially after going over the 7 millionth road bump, yeah I was way done.
We started in Tulum which is way green and so cool on the ocean. The blue of the ocean was insane. It was also crazy crowded but we loved the history.
For lunch, we stopped at a cenote to swim. Again, the food was meh. The cenote was really cool but it was a bit cold for me to swim so instead we hit up the hammocks before enjoying some mexican chocolate. We honestly felt the lunch stop took too long, especially since we wasted 10 minutes while our newbie bus driver kept grounding out on the road. Ah, memories.
Coba was our last stop and also very very cool. Here were are at the ball court which our Mayan guide insists is NOT a ball court. It's more of a religious area that retells a myth about 2 brothers who fight death 7 times to try and resurrect their father (who is an immortal head in a tree). Yeah, it was crazy to hear him tell it but the imagery was cool.
This is the longest continuous walking path in all of central America and the Mayans shook phosphorescent dust over it so that at night it glows in the dark. Super neat!
This is why we really went to Coba - because it has one of the last pyramids you can climb. We stopped halfway to take a photo.Aaaannd...then I chickened out and Dana hoofed it to the top.
Honestly, I turned around and took one look down and realized if I kept going up, there were gonna have to helicopter me back down. Scary, scary, scary!
Coming down, the smart people sat on their butts and then stood up to look all cool when they noticed the wifey was watching.
Aren't we cute?
But the best part of the day? The ride back from the pyramid in these amazing rickshaws. We had the tiniest Mexican kid pushing us and he was either hoping for a good tip or just super competitive because he blew past our group and ended up wheezing by the end.All in all, a good day but my nausea on the bus ride and not getting much time at the actually places would make me hesitant to recommend our tour company.
Monday:
Beach day 2!! This was seriously our favorite day. We did not leave the beach from 9AM until 5PM except to pee or get tacos. Weather was perfect. Drinks were perfect. Dana may have accidentally ingested some mango con blue (alcoholic) but hey, it's Mexico.
Tuesday:
Xel-Ha
Ahhh, I wish I could say this was a magical day. In truth, we had a lot of fun but man is it cold out on the ocean. Even with the day being 80 degrees, I was pretty chilled. We walked a lot, saw some cool birds, went down the lazy river twice (snorkeling and weird donut rafting), and then tried the big old circular water slide. If you enjoy motion sickness with a deluge of salt water up your nose at the end, then this ride is for you:) Also, we had some fun on bicycles. Once with reaaaaaallly short bikes and then again with normal sizes.
Some monkeys kept jumping over our head in this bamboo forest. Very unnerving and also cool. Also, wish I had a photo of the rope course which we tried. It was pretty difficult to traverse the rope across the water, but the "dudes" who thought they were hilarious and kept shifting it on purpose were just tons of fun. I am being sarcastic, I wanted to murder them. But I am proud to say I was one of the few women to make it all the way across despite their best efforts to knock me off. I just kept hearing Kristina screaming not to let go in my head. I am woman. Hear me roar!
But hands down the best part of the day was seeing Dana jump whenever these little iguanas shot out of the trees. It's the little things in life:)
Wednesday and Thursday were more beach, foot massages, and generally loafing. We left warmed and exhausted and happy to return to our silly little family.




































No comments:
Post a Comment