Yes, for 12 days this month, I was a single parent to my two kiddos plus Sarah's four in Utah while they were exploring the Galapagos and Machu Picchu. Honestly, so much happened it could fill a book. So here are just the highlights:
1 - The drives. Probably the thing that stressed me out the most. Driving by myself for 10 hours with two kids, one of whom is turned backwards and kind of offended by that fact. It was rough sometimes but Char slept a LOT and Clark watched a LOT of Lightning McQueen. (Don't ask me how much. It's embarassing). The kicker was when Charlotte's impromptu "rattle" (AKA a bottle of Acetamenophin) popped open in her lap and I got to swerve fast and furious style to the shoulder to save my poor infant from overdosing. Oh, and the cashier in Pendelton who was smoking while ringing up my soda. Classy all the way.
2 - Boise. This deserves it's own number. We stopped for a night on the way down. It started pouring the second we got out of the car. The hotel was repaving their parking lot and didn't have enough spots. Char refused to sleep in the death trap that was her crib (which took me 20 minutes to get up) so she slept on my bed. Then Clark got jealous and joined us. Three Gailans in a double bed. Ahhh luxury.
3 - The adventures. We did it all!
A) Hogle Zoo - rode the train. Found out Clark LOVES zebras. Lost Ethan for 10 minutes. Wait, does Sarah still read this? Had a blast but we wore Char out!
B) House activities - Sarah planned for down days which was good since it thunderstormed a lot. We did dance parties and just hung around the house. Yay for electronics, am I right boys?
C) Lemonade stands - Ethan the Entreprenuer wanted to raise some money so we did 3 different lemonade days. He made bank. Too bad it poured rain 30 minutes after he set up EACH TIME. Cursed? Maybe. Delicious? Definitely. E) The Library - why are Utah libraries so stinking awesome? Anyway. Great activity and Isaac and Clark made this sweet tour which Char knocked over five minutes later. Babies. What can I say man?
F) Parks - see comment on the library. We went to five different ones and they all rocked. Especially the part where Clark got stuck in this perpetual motion chair and I got him out but I'm not gonna say I wasn't busting a gut laughing.
4 - The kiddos. I have the best neices and nephews. They were spectacular with Clark and Charlotte. Isaac and Miles built pillow forts for Char and showed Clark how to put together his McQueen legos. Isla and Clark spent several days in the basement doing I have no idea but it sounded fun and was really messy. Ethan was my co-pilot and held Clark's hand the whole time we were at the zoo and would hoist him up to see the animals.
5 - Favorite activity. The temple square trip had to be my favorite. Beautiful day. Minimal fights. And watching kids get drawn in by interactive Book of Mormon stations and cutaways of the Temple is just touching.
It was a LOOONG 12 days and I'm not sure I'd do it again without Dana to help but man am I glad I was brave enough this time. It's rare that an Aunt gets so much one on one time with her neices and nephews at this age. I hope it means lasting relationships for years to come!





































No comments:
Post a Comment