Saturday, June 21, 2014

The Story of Clark - The Beginning (Again)

Dear Clark,
     This last post is for you, baby boy. You made it home. Clearly, the pre-mowed lawn and welcome sign from our awesome friends wasn't very impressive. Or maybe you were just mad that we had left you in that seat an extra ten minutes while Dad ran in for some Chinese takeout. Either way, you made it home in one piece. And then life started. We got you home on Thursday May 22nd. You were exactly one week old and quite the celebrity already on Facebook. The next few weeks were a jumble of so many firsts and so many new experiences but here are just a few we think you'll want to know.

SLEEP
You love it. You hate it. Sometimes at the same time. You love this little swing but not your crib yet. To be fair, you didn't have a mattress for a week so you slept in the pack n' play and maybe that was beneath you or something but I'm guessing you just like the rocking motion. Mostly, you like sleeping on people, usually Dad.
When you sleep on Dad, it usually starts out as a woozy sway and then you basically face plant into his chest. 
Since I'm working part time at home right now we have to get creative with our sleeping so sometimes I give you a buddy like your giraffe and sometimes you start out sleeping in my kangaroo pouch and then get moved to the swing later. This method works well (you love it) but it gets tricky during web meetings when your snoring reaches avalanche inducing range. Good thing you're so cute my office forgives you.

If we're talking about sleep, we should also mention you are very alert for a baby. When you are awake, you are crazy awake and love the vibrating chair. You're starting to love the play mat, but I don't think you get the animals dangling above you. Mostly you just stare at lights. Twice you've sneezed at the elephant. He might have had it coming. Your favorite thing right now is to bounce. From day three you've been able to hold your head up almost by yourself and you can stand on your own legs with us there just for balance. Is this a sign you will be a quick walker? I don't know but I hope so because you seriously hate sitting on the ground.


VISITORS:
Remember how I said you were popular? So many people came to visit. Family first. Grandma and Grandpa Gailan hustled over the very first day to check you out and declare you Gailan material.
Uncle Matt and Aunt Kristen were close on their heels and then Grandma Tina made it for a whole week of smooching your chin and doing the airplane (just kidding, that would be dangerous...but seriously watch out next time).


She declared you a true chill baby and you are. Friends like the Kearns and Hartmans and Crooks dropped by, sometimes with gifts, sometimes with food, sometimes just to marvel at your impressive hair. You usually slept through it.

BATHS
This is a mixed bag. On our first day just you and me I gave you your first bath at home in the blue whale tub. You screamed the whole time. Then you peed on the counter. Now, you LOVE the bath. Seriously. You'll start out with this offended, how dare you take my clothes look and then shock at the first splash of water and then...eh, you settle back and usually sleep. Lately you've been hanging one leg over the edge very nonchalantly. When we finish we comb your amazing part and it looks very suave. Then we lather you up with lotion and call it a day.


CLOTHES
We tried to organize your insane number of outfits. Honestly, you have more clothes than me and your socks are ridiculously small. We will never find them all. Someone will buy our house someday and find a small blue sock tucked in a crack somewhere.

THIS AND THAT
You have a lot of bibs because you are a very off and on eater. Lights distract you. My glasses distract you. Falling asleep distracts you. And because you take so long to eat you suck in a lot of air which necessitates lots of burping. These are your burp cloths from Aunt Kristina.
This is how you look after a feeding.
Sometimes Dad lays on the floor after you eat and puts you to sleep. Sometimes he's just waiting for you to finish pooping--which lately, is always.
Oh, this is your binkie. It's one of those green ones that allows for a finger in your mouth. Weird. But effective. Once you put your own finger in and sucked on it for a while which was pretty cute. Now you usually push the binkie out and shove your fist inside your mouth, which I'm fine with because at least your fingers won't fall out and get stuck in the cracks of your blanket never to be recovered.

OUTINGS
Yeaaaah, these haven't gone great. Grandma Tina braved the park to test out your new stroller and as luck would have it a huge thunderstorm passed over and drenched us. You were so confused about the raindrops on your face. Thankfully Dad kept his cool and saved your stroller. I've taken you to the mall and you even shook up the dance floor at your first church youth stake dance.

PRESENTS
Maybe it's the hair, but people like giving you things. Your baby shower was a serious success, mostly I think because you were there to get passed around like a hot potato. You received stacks of clothes, a rubber ducky, shaky toys (which you don't really get yet), a super cool bowtie name frame, carseat covers, blankets, binkies, on and on and on.

This is what you wore to your baby shower. Yeah, not sure what's up with the fist either. You've been doing that for a few days now.
Aunt Sarah got you this book:
I bought you these mittens. I think you kind of look like a cute monkey so it's appropriate. Also, remember those insane witch claw nails? They keep growing back so these are very handy. Even though you just want to eat them.
NICKNAMES
You are so cute, baby boy. And we love your name. Clark. It's professional, yet accessible. But, honestly, I don't call you Clark right now. You are boo. Little boo. Lil peaches. Baby. Captain Stink. Lil' poop. Buddy. Baby boy. Sweet pea. Sweets. And a dozen others.

IMPORTANT EVENTS
To be honest, most of the last few weeks has been getting in a routine: feeding, changing, working, more feeding, washing hundreds of bottles, baths. But there have been a few notable things:
1) Your circumcision. Ouch, right. You were a champ. Screamed your head off of course and the first time I change you afterwards you made this face like, why don't you love me, but then you didn't notice. We are so glad that is over.
2) The belly button. It fell off. Whew. Bad news: we have no idea where. When we got to your appointment for the doctor it was just gone. I have nightmares about it being somewhere in the house. (shudder).
3) Doctor visits. You did the two week! It was more like at two and a half weeks but Dr. Simms checked you out, rotated your hips, confirmed you have Mongolian spots (no worries, they go away), weighed you in at a solid 7 lbs 7 ounces. Then he made you come back a week later to get your first shot (Hep B). Again, the 'I thought you loved me' face followed by eh.
4) Baby acne. Yup, you got it sweets. Sorry. You also are really flakey along your eyebrows so I'm constantly lotioning you up. I'm guessing it's just your beautiful island skin adjusting to dry as a bone Yakima.
5) Shopping. We've done a few trips now. You mostly sleep. Thanks for that.
6) The blow outs. First at DFW, then at church. Twice. Why church sweet pea? Why? Yes, it gets me out of Sunday school but then I have to change you in the coat area because the bathroom changing tables are nasty.
7) Lastly, your first full day of work. We got to show you off to the office at our annual work conference. You slept like a champ, woke up for lunch, then went back to sleep. The perfect employee.

FACES
You make some funny ones. The best is a round "Oh!" like you're surprised or thinking. Sometimes you hold it for five minutes. What are you doing baby? You love other people's faces too. When Dad feeds you, you'll inch forward on his stomach and try to eat his chin. When I burp you, you shake your head back and forth and try to eat the burp cloth, then you throw out your arms and shake side to side like you are just too excited to go on with life and you must have food now now now now now. I have no idea what that's about but it's pretty cute.
THE FUTURE
Well that's all for now, baby boy. I'm sure I've forgotten a thousand other things you've done but nevermind, you'll do many many more. You are without a doubt the best thing that has ever happened to us. We can't wait to see the amazing, funny man you grow into. But for now, stop growing or I will never be able to fit you in the golf bag again.

No comments: