My beloved gray shirt, so super tattered and thin
I wore you back when, way way way back when
It was high school for us and college life too
It's been a long while since you were, well, new
I got you in boy scouts and wore you each day,
While running and dribbling and playing croquet
You came on my mission where we played lots of ball
You even came to college where I knew no one at all (except Doug)
And when I wooed the ladies and would get into a jam
You were there to prove what a truly awesome catch I am
I courted my lovely wife with you upon my back
Your threads less a covering and more of a lack
But your holes were memories of my life from boyhood up to man
At least they were until that wife made me throw you in the can
So farewell my shirt, my compadre, buddy and pal
We had a lot of real great times, but now I've got my gal
I hope my loving husband won't kill me for this:) He had a favorite running shirt that was, quite literally, falling off him and I feared for it every time I did the wash but last night he did the magnanimous thing and stuck it in the trash. I think eleven years is a good life for a shirt. Farewell, dear friend.
6 comments:
I love the ode to the shirt!
I've missed your funny poems. It takes me back. :)
That was funny Dave had some shirts like that either falling apart or ugly beyond belief. ( But I love those he would say). Too bad. That is what we wives are for!
Isn't that a Seinfeld episode? :)
Kelli, you should be a poet. I never knew a t-shirt could inspire such poetic language...
ha ha. I love it. I like your use of magnanimous. Jeremy likes to use magnanimous, but usually in the wrong way on purpose. It's very magnanimous of you to use it properly! :)
Post a Comment