Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Clark the Halls

If you only read one post this year, this is the one people. Christmas is just 4 days away!!! Ahhh!! We are so excited. Last minute Amazon gifts have secretly been ordered. Snow has fallen. And Dana is currently driving home from Utah (more on that later). We are ready! 

December started with a bang with a huge snow storm. It was really pretty to watch from inside my office but then I realized I had to go and drive in it. Yuck! It made for a few days of very tense driving but we survived. That first Saturday Dana insisted we bust out Clark's newly purchased snow gear and head outside. The snow pants are a size (or 3) too big but he'll grow, right? Riiiiight. The mittens are another failed purchase. He won't keep them on and his thumb is too small to fit in the thumb hole:) After this trip we got some cheap Walmart finger gloves and a new hat (cause Dana wanted his back) and now he's all set. 
The boots are a bit small (more are coming tomorrow from Amazon...love ya Amazon) but he had fun we think. He wouldn't go in the snow and like I said took his gloves off immediately so he tucked on hand inside his coat, which was so grown up I laughed. We made it half way around the block before he made Dana pick him up (sucker). 
That night we went to our ward Christmas party. They split off part of the ward a few weeks ago but we are still huge. We sat next to the Kearns and Van de Venters. We waited in line for Clark to sit on Santa's lap and I'll let you guess how that went...OR you can scroll to the bottom of this post and see for yourself (hint: it's priceless)

Dana and Clark spent the next week at home just chilling and going a bit stir crazy. There's not much to do in Yakima when it's cold and it's been reaaaaaally cold here, like 1 degree the other day. Brrr. Last Friday we went to our Stake YW party which was AMAZING!!! I wish I could adequately describe it. The Smarts hosted and the food was gourmet deliciousness. We played party games. I totally rocked Christmas Song charades with the Rachels. Then Dana (not surprisingly) totally rocked Celebrity Name Guessing. I wish we could do that night every Friday. 

Saturday was another milestone. We finally took down the crib. Now Clark is sleeping on this hilariously small mattress on the floor. It would look like a prison camp (and he cries like is is one) except for all the books and toys sprinkled around the bed. So far he can't open doors and that means he stays in his room (albeit wailing to high heaven). We'll see how long that lasts. Oh - and he seriously wants to potty train. He walks into the bathroom constantly and says "I go potty" and drops his pants. It's hysterical but I'm not ready for that yet. We've let him sit on the potty a few times and he looks pleased with himself, even though he never does anything. So progress. Slow....slow progress. 

Saturday night we spent the evening at the Beddards making Gingerbread houses with the Grows and Blackers. It was a bit chaotic with all the kids. They decorated first. Clark's contribution was just to lick his upside down ice cream cone "Tree". Then he spent the night squealing at the dogs and pushing Maverick's trucks up and down the hall. We knew we couldn't compete with the likes of Brittany and Jen so we opted instead for silly. Yes, those are dinosaurs eating our gingerbread house. Boom! And yes, Dana may have made a little poop for one of them. That's the way the Gailans roll, ya'll. 
On Monday Dana took off in a jet plane bound for Utah. We dropped the AMR off at Alan Bade's with nary a tear in our eyes. Dana is glad to be rid of the Camry; I'm a little nostalgic. He was a good little car but we're super thrilled to have the Acura. Dana stayed with the Woodburys Monday night and started driving Tuesday expecting to make the whole drive. Ice on the pass had other intentions. They shut down the Blues so he spent last night in Boise and is not tooling North toward Yakima! We missed him so much. And not just because I got home last night and the entire block was in a black out. That only last a few minutes but then I found out our driveway was one solid block of ice - I found this out as the Subaru skated skillfully down the driveway at an angle. I missed Dana when the smoke detector started beeping. I missed him when I had to reset the breaker for our bedroom. I missed him when I had to de-ice the driveway (hallelujah for the prompting to get de-icer way back in August). I missed him when I had a terrifying minute of the car veering towards the house as I gunned it up the driveway. But mostly, Clark and I just missed him because we like him and he makes the house less empty. Oh, and I missed him when the power went out again at 9:30, plunging me into bored darkness. 

So, like I said, we are ready for Dana to be home and Christmas to start. 4 days and counting guys....ho...ho...ho...

No comments: