Monday, March 4, 2013

Down off the Mountain

We left Mountainview Avenue forever about a week ago but I wanted to put down some memories of our 70s retro apartment before i forgot them forever. Feel free to skip if you don't want a trip down nostalgia lane.
-we had the best view of the fireworks ever. We'd lay in bed upstairs and open the windows and listen to the explosions from the fairgrounds. The only downside was the random people who would show up on our lawn below and sometimes not leave for hours!
-we won't miss hearing our neighbors through the walls but for the most part we had great neighbors. Janeen was on the left and was the most amazing gardener I've ever met. Her daughter Camry (yes, how fun is that) would always stalk us at night and wave from her bedroom window when we got home from work. On the right we had a few but our favs were Carly and Seth Bagley in our ward. They were awesome fun!
-our tiny kitchen sometimes left me frustrated especially since it lacked a dishwasher but now I can hold that over my children as my one 'trial' in life (like walking uphill in snow both ways...nice try Dad but you lived in Florida!) and how many people can say they cooked a full on Thanksgiving dinner in a kitchen that small?
-when Sarah and Taylor visited us the second summer we had to lock baby Miles in his pack n 'play in the closet downstairs like Harry Potter.
-the ceilings were a bit low--at least if you are Dana practicing your golf swing.
-one thing I will miss is the whole house fan upstairs. One flip of the switch and a tornado like wind would rip through the house pulling the hot air up...up...and away! Loud but effective.
-our landlords, Doug and Carol, were beyond fabulous. I learned a lot about what not to put down a disposal from them.
-I will never forget the sound of our loud air conditioner or the odd popping sound of the heat coming on from those strange units on the floor. Sometimes I wondered if the house might just explode one night.
-the window in our bedroom was a sliding glass door and sun would come in at 4:30AM in the summer so instead of paying an arm and a leg for blackout drapes I jerry-rigged a black bathtub curtain up that did the job nicely. To date it is the invention I am most proud of:)
-I loved the fact that our backdoor looked like the front and vice versa. Can't tell you how many times we'd hear confused, stuttering knocks on the sliding glass door and open it up to find the missionaries or members of the ward awkwardly standing beside our square foot garden trying to read the letter 'C' on the yellow moon tacked to the siding. I think Bro. Fournier summed it up best when his family showed up with Christmas goodies: "Front doors don't slide". Yep. They don't.
-not an in the house one per se, but I'd hate to forget walks up and down the canal road above our house. There's nothing quite like being that high above the city in the summer, walking along as Dana recites legal outlines for the bar exam.
-being right up the street from the library and just minutes away from the Church was a blessing
-popcorn ceilings...what else can I say?

We had a great run, Mountainview Avenue. A lot of awesome stuff happened while we called you home and we hope a really nice family moves in to take care of you.

No comments: