This is a strange post for me--mainly because you won't laugh once...probably. But I have never really been a fan of biographies or really anything that isn't fantasy for many years but this year for lack of anything decent to read, I've expanded my milieu of literature (and my vocabulary). The one I just finished is called "The Nine" and it's about the lives of current, and a few past, Supreme Court justices. The author is Jeffrey Toobin and although he has liberal leanings, I thought he did a great job of sounding impartial and covering both sides in each case. It covered all the eras from civil rights, abortion, military law, Gore vs Bush and so many others and it really was an eye opener to me for how our court system works and also how much politicking goes on when justices are nominated. Overall it was just a neat look at some of the laws that have been passed and how this branch of our goverment shapes America. It also had some great tidbits about the personalities of some of the Justices that I thought were cute. If anyone likes this genre and is looking for an interesting read, I recommend this one.
Oh, ok, just one joke at the end:
An elderly couple had been shopping at a grocery store, and the wife decided to steal a can of peaches. The inevitable happened and she was caught. Upon her court date, the judge asked her what she had stolen.
"Your Honor, I stole a can of peaches."
The judge replied, "How many peaches were in the can?"
She said, "Six."
The judge then said, "I will sentence you to six days in jail."
Her husband stood up behind her and replied, "Your Honor, she also stole a can of peas."
2 comments:
Great joke! I'll have to put "The Nine" on my to-read list. It sounds like my kind of book. :)
You couldn't resist, could you Skitch? Great joke! And if I were a reader...I would read that book. It does sound interesting. Would you mind reading it again on tape for me? Maybe I'll listen to it. ;)
Post a Comment